AVRs, or automatic voltage regulators, are used to control and stabilise the voltage in a power system. An AVR changes fluctuating voltage into a constant voltage. The fluctuation in voltage mainly occurs due to the variation in load on the supply system. This variation can cause damages to the power system, making AVRs important additions to power systems such as generators. The first AVRs for generators were electromechanical, but modern versions use solid-state devices. Automatic voltage regulators act as a feedback control system, by measuring the output voltage of a generator, comparing that to a set point, and generating an error signal that is used to adjust the excitation of the generator. The terminal voltage of the generator will increase as the excitation current in the field winding of the generator increases. The AVR then controls the current with power electronic devices.
Buy AVRs from Generator Parts
Generator Parts are leading suppliers of AVRs and other generator products in South Africa. Here are some of the reasons to choose Generator Parts for all your AVR needs:
- We have the most comprehensive range AVRs available in South Africa.
- Many of our products are exclusive to Generator Parts and cannot be found elsewhere in the country.
- We stock spares and parts if you simply need a small replacement instead of an entire new system.
- Our full support and after-sales services will ensure that you are completely satisfied and set up with your product.
- We have been providing the ideal solution for industrial power products and spares since 1985, offering unparalleled experience and knowledge.
Find the perfect AVRs for your power system
When there is a sudden change in load in the generator, AVRs create a change in the excitation system to provide the same voltage under the new load condition. This controls and maintains the stability of the system. AVRs also increase the excitation of the system under fault conditions in order to maintain maximum synchronising power at the time of clearance of the fault. They reduce the oversupply of voltage that occurs during a sudden loss of load on the system. AVRs are also useful in dividing the reactive load between generators operating in parallel. For AVRs from leading manufacturers, contact Generator Parts today.